Monday, July 11, 2005

Life back to normal, or sort of....

Went back to work on Sunday , (whats new…) and then came back to meet a friend, which managed to convince me that we needed to go shopping, which I actually gave in to him.

Went to a Buddhist temple in Oxford Circus. Never knew there was one there. Was only aware of the church called All Souls. Apparently other than being the temple of fashion, oxford street also holds down proper temples of religions. Maybe need to ask a Jewish friend if there is a synagogue there as well.

Went down to John Lewis clearance sale and bought myself some shoes. Needed a new pair. Realised that the other one has holes in its soles that leaves my socks soaking wet whenever I step into a puddle. Quite pleased with my new shoes.

Decided to catch dinner at Chinatown before I came back to work so we started walking there. On the way in Soho, came across this “tea house” called Yauatcha. Remember reading about it somewhere. Think its by the same owner as Hakasan so we decided to pop by to take a look. Was a bit of a “fusion” place. To me, the décor was really nice, but the food and menu looked as it if had an identity crisis. Not quite French, not quite Chinese, doesn’t feel like fusion. Feels confused more than anything. I don’t really know how to explain, but I have this thing about fusion food, sometimes they do feel like fusion food, sometimes it just feels like identity-confused food. This one definitely comes under my identity-confused category. We actually went it to the pastry corner and I got something to go. Was not too sure what it was, but it looked like a triangular almond biscotti. For something to go, the packaging was incredible. It had to go into a bag, of which one side was clear plastic and the other was paper. Then this bag was carefully folded and the ends of the bag tapped down nicely by some special tape with a sticker that looked like the typical old Chinese insignia chop. And when I tried to pay for the thingie which I do not know what to call it, they had to put it into ANOTHER polyproplyene (not polystyrene or polyethylene) carrier bag. All this hoo har for a small pastry thingie. I sure hope it tastes good.

Dinner was at café de Hong Kong. We have developed a taste for “dong yin yang”.

Went back to work, fiddled about, spent about 2.5 hours there after dinner and finally came home. When I came back and was hungry and decided to eat the little thingie. It was good. Like fusion between French toast and the topping of “po lo pao”. Maybe all the effort into the packaging was worth it to them because they treated the pastries like little pieces of art. It was really good.

But then again, maybe its all done for the psychological effect such that I will have to think that the thingie tasted better than it really was if it was cheap and came wrapped in chip shop paper.

No comments: