Thursday, May 05, 2005

Election Day!

I voted! Did you?

My first real chance to play a role in the democratic process, and I just had to do it. Just too bad that its not my home county, or country for that matter.

I guess I am pretty old by any standards now. Can buy knives, can smoke, can drink, can buy lottery, can vote, can watch RA, and now, can even go any club and not get kicked out for being under-aged. Now that significantly old. Some annoying stuck up clubs back home wont let you in if you are male and under a certain age, but they will gladly let a 18 year old gal in. Sexist if you ask me (and I don’t know you), or more like meat market (if you are one of those friends that I share everything with). But then again, better be careful what I say about them on the blog, or else can end up being sued even if I offer apology and take my blog down.

Anyways, Its just kinda weird. Back home, either no one runs in the local election and challenged the incumbent in my ward, or I will be overseas when there is an election that I can vote in. So, till now, haven’t gotten the chance to vote.

To accumulate all the years of yearning to vote (as if I am that bothered) I decided to turn up this time with my voting card to show Tony the twat what I think of him.



Din't think I was going to leave my name and address on the card did you?


Just because we live in a ward that has been so predominantly Labour, (the incumbent has been here since the year I was born with over 50% majority most of the time) and he was a good guy (he was against the war as well), there was no case at all of voting him out.

I did consider voting the Tories, but hearing how Michael Howard goes on and on about immigration and putting a quota and stirring up xenophobic sentiments in the country, it did occur to me that it was going to be incredibly stupid to vote for a party that will initiate proceedings to chuck me straight out of the country the moment they get into power.

Charles Kennedy and the lib dems on the other hand was picking up so much anti-war votes, and much as I am anti-war, I don’t want to follow the crowd, just because I don’t like going with the crowd but like going against the flow. They don’t help by announcing a manifesto for a 50% tax rate for the higher income earners (which I aspire to be in that category) They do seem to have the idea of robbing the rich to feed the idle. At least Robin Hood was robbing the rich to help the poor, not the idle. (I read this article in metro where they did a breakdown and then realised that a family of 4 with 2 working adults and paying off a mortgage is only £7 better off than an identical family with no one working and on full benefits.)

So in the end how? Apparently voting not as easy as just turning up and putting a huge X across the party that your parents had always voted for. I guess its all part of growing up. Politically I mean.

No comments: